Monday, June 28, 2010

Hiking the AT: Thornton Gap to Compton Gap



I did it! Well, it was a couple weeks ago, but I did it! I finally set out for a long hike on the Appalachian Trail in order to start making my way towards one of my goals this summer. I am hoping to section hike the length of the Appalachian Trail that is within the bounds of Shenandoah National Park. I haven't figured it out exactly, but I think it's about 104 miles or so. I hiked from Thornton Gap (which is the closest point on Skyline Drive from my farm) to Compton Gap, about 22 miles north. And I did it with my pack in about a 24 hour period.

The first day I hiked about 13.5 miles or so. Rachel kindly dropped me off on her lunch break in order for me to set out mid-day. I hardly saw anyone on the path, and at times finally felt far away from the constant foot and car traffic one usually finds within this well-used park. I followed the white marks on the trees as well as the AT symbol in the photo to stay on track. Oh yes, and my map, of course.

I was planning to stop about 4.5 miles sooner, but I realized I had plenty of daylight left when I got to that destination, so I just kept trekking. I passed a hang glider launch site along the way! Wouldn't that be fun? Maybe that will be my reward when I arrive at my goal. This is a picture of the launch site. Remember you can click on the image to see a larger version of it. Anyone want to come with me?

So I stopped at the Gravel Springs AT Shelter. The shelters are just 3-sided shelters made for "through hikers" so that they don't have to pitch a tent every night. The night I was there was pretty busy. There were probably 15 folks in the shelter itself, and then another 10 or so in their solo tents nearby. Then there was an entire boy scout troop taking up the big swatch of land intended for overflow tents like mine. I luckily found my own little site tucked around the corner from everyone just as the sun was setting. I pitched my tent, watched five lanky teenage boyscouts work together (quite hilariously) to hoist their HUGE backpack full of food and pans onto the bear pole, ate a granola bar, and went to bed.

I set my alarm early because I needed to finish before 1pm, when Rachel and I agreed she'd pick me up. I awoke at 6am and left camp by 7am. The last nine miles didn't seem to take as long as I thought they might, so I had time to hike off the trail a bit to see some viewpoints. Oh, and I did see a bear the second day! It was close enough that I didn't stay to take a picture. It was relatively small, too, so I was afraid mama might be somewhere close by. I made a lot of noise, talked to the bear and it's potential mama, and scooted along...quickly.

Overall, I was feeling pretty good about the hike and that I was going to make it. About a mile before the end of the hike, however, I met up with some through hikers on Compton Peak. They were pretty nice, despite the often-talked about through-hiker disdain for section hikers. We talked for a while and then one of them mentioned that the other guy had hiked 30 miles the previous day. And this one had hiked only 22. Oh, and they were hiking up to Front Royal today. I felt suddenly humbled. Hmmmmmmm, well...my accomplishment is relative, I suppose. They were sweet and said it was a great accomplishment for having to work at the farm on either side of my 22 mile hike! I took it, even though I think they were generous to say that.

One fifth down, four fifths to go!

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting! Lynn and I talked seriously about doing the AT at one time, but life got in the way. Good for you! Have you read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods"? It is so good and so funny. He did almost all of the trail and tells about it.
    I can hardly wait for your next installment! Good luck to you! Keep your defensive abilities fine tuned! You are so brave to do this on your own! Thanks! Dani

    ReplyDelete