Monday, April 26, 2010

Rain and Rainbows

Note to self: When ominous, dark rain clouds are rolling in and you have to make a decision between doing your lunch dishes or running to get rain gear before work starts on a farm, always opt for the rain gear! I made the wrong decision. We were to start at 2pm, which is exactly when the rain began POURING down. I had a raincoat on but hardly noticed it as my baggy jean overalls became heavier, colder, and wetter on my legs. The walk from the intern house to the barn through sideways rain completely soaked me. When we arrived at the greenhouse a few minutes later, the rain tapered off and the sun came out. Of course, right? I worked the rest of the afternoon in soaking overalls, learning my lesson the hard way.

Anika and I were the only ones working today. Since it's Monday, we only worked this afternoon. We worked in the greenhouse for quite a while watering and seeding cucumbers. Evidently lots of folks have trouble digesting cucumbers, so they've modified some to be burpless cucumbers?! Weird. That's what we were seeding today. Anyway, before we knew it, it was five o'clock. This left us only half an hour to pick a couple of pounds of kale and the whole field of asparagus. We also are supposed to wash and bag the kale after we picked it!

We high tailed it out of the greenhouse and into the kale fields. We threw some leaves into the bushel until we thought we had enough. Then we scurried over to the asparagus, trying to focus on only the spears that were sticking so high out of the hay that we couldn't ignore them. The rain started in again, of course, so there we were rushing under the rain to get our buckets full of asparagus. We both heard something, but hardly because we had our hoods on. Finally Anika looked up and saw Andy pointing way out behind us from the porch of the house. We turned around to see a magnificent rainbow stretching out over our fields. Both ends were in our property, in front of the trees and barn! It was amazing and beautiful and a glorious way to end the day.

I decided that ending the day on time was not important enough to work through the rainbow, so I ran out of the fields and into the shed to get my camera. Here are a couple pictures that I caught. Then I asked Andy to take a picture of me out in the asparagus field under the rainbow. I think the rainbow was fading by then, but that's me in the yellow raincoat with a harvesting knife and blue bucket. Do you see me?






No comments:

Post a Comment