Tuesday, April 13, 2010



















I made it! I hiked and camped alone this weekend (Sunday and Monday), and I probably owe my courage to Jami. She always invited me to go hiking or camping with her, and we usually did it together. However, the times that I was not up for going, she would venture out by herself! I hadn't really had the chance to, nor did I create the chance to go on my own until this past weekend. I borrowed Rachel's car (first time driving a Prius hybrid...pretty fancy!) and journeyed into the middle of Shenandoah National Park.

The first day I went on a 9.7 mile long hike (Tuscarora-Overall Run Trail Loop), labeled as strenuous, which turned into about a 15 mile hike. The road to the trail head was closed, so that added a couple miles to my hike. And then the map in the book that I had did not match the map that the Park Service gave me, so that added another few miles to the hike. I have new boots; I was reminded of this in the last couple miles of my hike because of the sore blister on my right heal.

I stayed in the main campground because I was not able to get a back country camping permit in time. I didn't sleep soundly, but I did get some sleep. More about that in the highlights...

And then the next day I did a small hike, hoping that I could ignore my blister if I put the right bandages around it. No luck. My 3.3 mile hike (Lewis Falls Trail Loop) was long and painful. That is, until I remembered I had my dorky Crocs in my backpack. So I walked the rest of the way with one hiking boot and one Croc. Since I wasn't going far, this worked out great!

Highlights about my weekend hiking and camping:

  • Panoramic views of the whole Shenandoah Valley
  • Incredible mid-70 degree weather
  • Butterflies lining my entire walk
  • Transcending from one season to the next and then back again by descending and ascending 2ooo feet on my hike
  • Brilliant pink flowering trees (Redbuds?) set against a backdrop of bright spring green leaves of most other trees
  • Three different screaming racoon fights throughout the night
  • One yelping/terrified dog (because of the racoons? i'll never know)
  • Practicing with my Pstyle some more
  • Deer walking and chomping constantly within inches of my tent, again, throughout the night
  • Three beautiful waterfalls
  • Two 12-week-old Pomeranians that reminded me of Honey. Honey the Pomeranian that I fostered jumped off my three story house and lived without a wound to prove it. When the owner of these two pups said she was going to set them on the top of the brick wall while she took a picture of the waterfall, I grabbed them and set them on my lap! And they were tuckered out from the walk down to the falls, so they fell asleep on my lap. Phew.
  • eating a whole hamburger at the end of my hike
  • and a lot of time to think of and miss and love and send warm thoughts into the universe for each of you...my friends and family













Sending love to you today!









No comments:

Post a Comment