Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Kale is Going to Seed...

...which makes it harder and harder to harvest! We had to eek out something like 9 bushels of kale for market tomorrow, but the leaves are getting limp, small, and sparse. This makes the harvesting take longer and longer. We did it eventually! Then, in the afternoon, guess what we did? That's right, harvest spinach! Ooooooooooo, but guess what reward we got today? The "seconds" of the asparagus! We still weren't taught how to harvest it for ourselves, but we'll take the leftovers. Which ones are considered seconds? The ones that are starting to open on top, that look gnarly, that are eaten by asparagus beetles, etc. Basically, anything that's not pretty and likely won't sell at market. They tasted delicious in my beans and rice, despite the ugly factor.

I also found out (did I write this already?) that I will be going to the Charlottesville market next Saturday. I'm looking forward to it!

Oh, and I finished my book by Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol. Thank goodness! I liked the message at the end, but the rest of the book was way too violent. It stressed me out, and I'm trying to de-stress out here on the farm. Sheesh! Mom, I still can't believe you recommended that book...and that you still give me a hard time about taking you to see The Matrix! Ha!

1 comment:

  1. I'm finally caught up on all your posts...You are taking AMAZING pictures, learning A lOT about farming, connecting and strengthening your soul, and making piece with all the creatures that want to sleep with you.=)My dear friend, its good to see you so happy and healthy.
    Al

    ReplyDelete